Hidden in plain sight: Vashon Island is a treasure-trove of idyllic backroads, stellar trails and off-the-radar saltwater fly fishing spots. Join Swift Adventure Co. and fly fishing guide, Kristen Bufe, for a three day bicycle and fly fishing tour of Vashon Island. You’ll spend your days chasing sea-run Cutthroat on salty beaches, and pedaling along little-known side-roads. Delicious home cooked meals enjoyed in the company of your fellow adventurers will fuel your exploration.
Official Trip Info
Vashon Island is nestled between West Seattle and the Kitsap Peninsula and is the part of the current and ancestral home to the Coast Salish people.
Fly fishing skills you’ll gain:
- Basic knots
- Puget Sound fly selection
- Casting practice and improvement
- Reading saltwater and understanding tides
Where we’ll stay
Spring time is wonderful in the PNW, but the weather is unpredictable. For this adventure we will stay indoors at a lovely VRBO on the water. We will be a short drive from town. Rooms will be shared amongst guests.
Getting to and from
You have two options: Meet at basecamp, OR jump in our shuttle (space is limited) from the North Vashon ferry landing and let us take you to basecamp. Details available after registration.
Friday 28th, Arrive mid morning (between 10am-12pm) and get settled in. After lunch we will head out for a quick pedal and come back to our cottage for some a casting tune-up/lessons into the evening. Ride: Approx. 15 miles, 1300ft ele.
Saturday 29th, After breakfast we will head out for a ride or chase the tides for ideal fishing conditions. After lunch we do it all again. Saturday evening we will head to town for dinner. Rides: Approx. 20 miles, 1200ft ele.
Sunday 30th, After breakfast and packing up, we will head on one last pedal or follow those fishy tides depending on what looks best. Then we will say so long and head to the ferry. Ride: Approx. 18 miles 1000ft ele.
Fly fishing and bicycles have something mesmerizing in common: both deepen our experiences in the great outdoors, challenging us to listen, look and intuit our surroundings in a way that brings us closer to the natural world. Come with us as we fuse our passions for a day of pedaling and casting on the outskirts of Seattle. We’re eager to spend the weekend entire
- Escape to a beautiful place
- Expert fly fishing instruction and education
- Shuttle from ferry to basecamp (space limited)
- Fly fishing supplies-tackle, rods, wader, etc.
- Bicycle logistic and support
- Support and gear vehicle
- All camp meal, snack, & refreshments (some restaurant and store food not included)
Gear/Supplies You Should Bring
- Fishing license- https://wdfw.wa.gov/licenses/fishing
- Polarized sunglasses
- Sun hat
- Bicycle & Helmet (rentals available)
- Bicycle water bottles (available for purchase)
- Personal camp gear & clothing (pack list included upon registration)