Adventure Art – Nature Comics
$1,100.00 – $1,300.00
Art isn’t just the act of making something, it’s an act of seeing and observing. On this edition of our Adventure Art trips, you’ll slow down and observe, learning how to document the multitude of details, from the exciting to the mundane, from your adventures and the natural environment through comics. In the process, you’ll re-tune your eyes to pay attention to the world around you.
- “Meet in Seattle”, full service, round trip from Swift HQ and back
- “Meet on Lopez”, where we will shuttle you and your stuff from Lopez landing to basecamp.
Official Trip Info
Under the guidance of graphic journalist Nhatt Nichols, this four-day cycling and drawing trip will have us exploring the San Juan Islands with sketchbooks on hand, riding Swift Adventure Co.’s favorite backroads and tapping into your own creativity, being inspired by nature, and making your own adventure art in comic journal style.
We’ll be drawing, painting, writing, and fueling our creative selves along the way. By the end of the trip you’ll have an incredible record of your adventure, and you will have sharpened the tools to document your next one.
Slow down and re-learn how to see as we explore the San Juan Islands by bicycle.
Learn how to capture your travels with a comic journal, regardless of your level of artistic skill. Learn to see your world differently, and get more out of your surroundings, by practicing observational drawing skills, diving into storytelling techniques, and adding color to your adventures.
- Basic drawing skills that you can apply to all of your creative practice, but that are particularly good for capturing art on the move, including:
- gesture drawing
- Comic documentary skills that change the way you experience and remember your adventures
- A chance to slow down and observe the incredible world we live in
- Expertly crafted field art kit, created by Art Toolkit™ with a few extras from us here at SACo. Includes:
- Rugged, compact carrying case
- Moleskin sketch/painting pad
- Water brush w/ refill syringe & Mister
- Waterproof fine pen & pencil
- Compact watercolor kit
- 2 x mini binder clip
- Eraser & pencil sharpener
- Thurs 17th, Meet at Swift HQ* we’ll load up your gear and hit the road aimed for the Anacortes ferry landing. Our adventure begins on the ferry, be on the lookout for marine life and the illusive resident Orca whale pods. Once on Lopez, we will settle in at camp and head out for a little afternoon stroll and our first creative lesson. approx. 8mi, 400′ ele.
- Friday 18th, After a great breakfast, we will pack up lunch and art kit and head back to the ferry, this time by bike. Today we head to San Juan Island. Once on island we will head to Lime Kiln State Park(Most likely place in the lower 48 to see whale from shore) to spend the afternoon. Before getting back on the boat we will take some time in Friday Harbor to explore or have a drink at the brewery. approx. 22mi, 1500′ ele.
- Saturday 19th, Breakfast and coffee! Today, we stay on Lopez, the chillest island. We will start a little later in the morning to hit the farmers market in town, after that we will spend the day park hopping and letting the water and harbor seals inspire us, we may even ride a semi-secret gravel road and take a dip back at Spencer Spit. We will round out the day with a lovely Kaiseki style dinner at Setsunai in Lopez Village. approx. 26mi, 1500′ ele.
- Sunday 20th, Today we have to pack up and head home. But don’t worry, we still have another beach to visit on our way to the ferry, another wonderful ferry ride, and to top it off we will have lunch and final creative lesson at Washington Park, before heading back to Swift HQ. approx. 5mi, 400′ ele.
We look forward to hearing from you. Let us know if you have any questions: email@example.com
Coming from out-of-town? Don’t hesitate to contact us about lodging recommendations and travel logistics, we’re happy to help! Travel without the hassle of bike cases and heavy gear. We have premium gear and bicycles for rent, and all Field Experience guests receive special rental rates.
*Transportation from Seattle to Lopez is only included with this trip if you select “Meet in Seattle”. Select “Meet on Lopez” and we can shuttle you from the ferry land to base camp as needed. We have a list of resources to help guide you the Anacortes Ferry landing and can help facilitate carpooling
**We can accommodate omnivores, vegetarians, and vegans. Generally gluten-free and low carb diets can also be accommodated. Folx with special diets may be asked to partially supplement their meals & snacks. If you have any questions or concerns about food please contact us ahead of time.
Please review our cancelation and Covid-19 policies
- Expert Art Instruction from Nhatt Nichols
- The ultimate travel art kit by Art Toolkit
- All camp meals and refreshments - does not include alcoholic drinks
- One in-town dinner at Setsunai in Lopez Village
- Support and gear wagon
- Transportation to and from Seattle. Unless you choose the "meet on Lopez" option
- Quiet Island roads, plus some hidden gems
Gear/Supplies You Should Bring
- Camp gear (Rentals available)
- Bicycle (Rentals Available)
- Personal equipment - clothing, sleeping bag, toiletries, etc.
- Personal bowl, mug, and utensils